This website is sponsored by

Example

FALFIELD - Pale brown or fallow open land'. Old English fecal + field.
Taken from A Dictionary of Place-Names Oxford University Press, © A.D. Mills
1998.

HOME | NEWS & EVENTS | INFORMATION | PARISH COUNCIL| ST GEORGE’S CHURCH | ORGANISATIONS | VILLAGE HISTORY | CONTACT US

Visitors since
September 2005

Please read our
website policies

Our sponsor: The Gables Hotel.
Please click on the links below for more information
SPECIAL EVENTS  ¦  DINING  ¦  ACCOMMODATION  ¦  CHRISTMAS

© 2014 falfield.org.uk

Community Website Falfield Village

The organ is a two-manual instrument by Vowles Organ Builders of Bristol. The Church has one bell, which appears to have no inscription.

Although is was originally built to seat 180 people, and as recently as the 1970’s there was a substantial congregation (including a choir).

When it was part of the parish of Thornbury, which is about three and half miles away, Falfield was served by a Chapel-of-Ease, of which no records remain. It was used for Funeral Services but parishioners had to go to the mother church of St. Mary at Thornbury for Baptisms and Holy Communion. This Chapel-of-Ease according to Sir Stephen Glynne, a well-known antiquary and ecclesiologist, who visited it in 1849, was a small building, with perpendicular features, consisting of nave and chancel. He stated that it had one unusual feature, namely, that it had no altar.
When Sir George Jenkinson came to live at Eastwood Park, around the middle of the 19th century, the chapel was in a dilapidated condition, and, mainly at his expense, and on land given by him opposite to the entrance to his park, a new church seating 180, was built in 1860.

It is this building, with some later additions, which remains today. It has a high-pitched roof, surmounted by a bell tower with open belvedere, Early English windows of two lights to the north and south with larger traceried windows to east and west, and an open-work wooden chancel screen. Mr. W. B. Burchell, a builder, from Thornbury, carried out the whole of the work.

The corner stone in the porch was laid by Sir George Jenkinson on 23rd April 1859 and the church was dedicated to St George and was consecrated by Rt. Rev. Charles Burney, D.D., Lord Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, on 31st July 1860. The day of the consecration was apparently bright and sunny, and, flitting from rafter to rafter was a small bird, which curiously appropriate to one of the verses of Psalm 84, read in the service of consecration. "The sparrow has found her a house, and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young."

With a view to its becoming a separate parish, a Vicarage was provided by the conversion of a blacksmith’s house and forge close by. Some of the materials of the old chapel were incorporated in it, including oak beams and mullioned windows. The Rev. T. E. Forest was appointed to take charge of the new church, and on 12th September 1863, Falfield became a separate and independent parish, the Rev. John Pilditch becoming the first incumbent. The Vestry at the west end of the church was added in 1953, and was consecrated by Dr. C. S. Woodward, Bishop of Gloucester, on 14th September of that year. In 1960, the centenary of the church was celebrated addresses being given by the Bishop of Gloucester and many other clergy of the diocese.

In the interior of the church, an octagonal font of Bath stone standing at the west end of the building, was the gift of Anthony L.Lyster, Esq., of Stillorgan Park, Dublin, the father of Lady Jenkinson. On the walls are memorial tablets erected to the memory of members of the Jenkinson family of Eastwood Park. The open-work wooden chancel screen was added in 1912. A War Memorial commemorates those of the parish who gave their lives in the First and Second World Wars. Woodward, Bishop of Gloucester, on 14th September of that year. In 1960, the centenary of the church was celebrated addresses being given by the Bishop of Gloucester and many other clergy of the diocese.

The Revd. M.F.S. Townsend

(Vicar of the Mother Church of Thornbury)

1860 - 1863


The Revd. Dennis Daven-Thomas

1944 - 1946

The Revd. John Pilditch (1st Vicar of Falfield)

1863 - 1865


The Revd. William Stanley Prosser

1947 - 1957

The Revd. Charles Tooth

1865 - 1870


The Revd. John Howard Roderick

1958 - 1960

The Revd. Ernest Vilars-Hoare

1871 - 1876


The Revd. George Herbert Murray Worthing

1960 -1966

The Revd. Edmund J. Whittaker

1876 - 1881


The Revd. Brian Barnes-Ceeney

1966 -1971

The Revd. James Targett

1881 - 1892


The Revd. Robert C. Payne

1971 -1976

The Revd. Charles R. Ward

1892 - 1902


The Revd. Geoffrey Goswell

1976 -1979

The Revd. Hugh C. Jenner

1902 - 1909


The Revd. Raymond A. Waterson

1979 - 1991

The Revd. C. Grant King

1910 - 1919


The Revd. Raymond W. Martin

1991 - 1998

The Revd. Arthur Dudley Lough

1919 - 1931


The Revd. Audrey Hayman

1998 -2002

The Revd. C. M. Perkins

1931


The Revd. Pat Lyes-Wilsdon

2002 -2009

The Revd. Alfred Banner

1932 - 1944


The Revd. Jenny d'Esterre

2009

RECORD OF ST GEORGE’S INCUMBENTS

A BRIEF HISTORY OF ST GEORGE’S CHURCH Top of Page Top of Page