Site created by James Carpenter. Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content. For questions and comments about the website please email: email@example.com. No material from this site may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the copyright owners.
A committee was appointed to raise funds with the war memorial finally erected on the village green in 1920. The committee consisted of Lady Jenkinson, Miss Dove, Mrs Parsons, Mrs Eley, H. Gabb, J Rymer, c. Jones, H. Russell-Thomas, G. Bryant, c. Ford, E. W. Silverton, E. Dyer, A. Lippiatt, F. Tucker, R. Paget, A. Stump, A.R. Anstey, G. Lanham, E. Matthews, c. Holpin, W. Lewis, W. Organ, Harry Hook and John Bryant.
In 1931 the lettering needed repainting and cleaning and it was left to the Parish Council to get the work completed at the appropriate time. In 1933 Col. Murray offered to fence the memorial with chains but it was thought that the County Council would not sanction it.
Some time after the end of the 2nd World War a special meeting was held in the schoolroom to discuss a proposition put by Mrs Lister and seconded by Mrs Murray to purchase bronze tablets with the names of those who died in both world wars. After much disagreement a tender of £146 from Gardiner & Sons and Co of Bristol was accepted. Chains and stone posts were added in 1948 and so it stayed until 1960 when the widening of the A38 trunk road made the repositioning of the memorial necessary.
As early as 1958 a decision had been reached with regard to the new position of the war memorial but at the eleventh hour the church couldn’t sell or let the designated part of the churchyard. By 1964 the memorial was moved to its current position along with the original stone pillars and chains added in 1948.
The picture on the right shows a picture of War Memorial in its original position with St George's Church in the background. This picture was taken prior to 1948 when the bronze tablets were installed.
The position in which the War Memorial stands today is not its original position. Prior to the widening of the A38 road during the 1960's the War Memorial stood on an island at the junction of the A38 with Sundayshill Lane. The picture above is a sketch of the Church and shows the War Memorial in its original position and has been taken from a booklet entitled "The Parish Churches of St. George Falfield and St. Oswald Rockhampton" and was produced in 1963 to celebrate the centenary of St. George's, Falfield. The sketch is dated 1960 and signed "K.B."
Service of Dedication of Names following World War II
The unveiling of the Roll of Honour is being carried out by the Duke of Beaufort. The individuals robed are (form left to right) are Jack Shepherd, Jim Morgan, Fred Morgan, Tom Mann (Organist and Choir Master), Hector Hiscock and the Rev. William Stanley Prosser.
The house in the background is Malvern House which stood on the corner of what is known today as Mill Lane. The house was demolished to make way for the widening of the A38 trunk road in the early 1960's
1914 - 1918
Pte.Charles William Cole
L/Cpl. John Canning Dove
Pte. James Fisher
Pte. Herbert George Holpin
Capt. John Banks Jenkinson
Pte. Sidney Joseph Lewis
Spr. Arthur Edward Mower
Pte. John Kingscott Millard
Spr. Victor George Nichols
Pte. William Ewart Organ
Qws. Herbert Selman
Pte. John Strange
Pte. Leslie Watkins
Go to the 1914-1918 Roll of Honour page for more detailed information
1939 - 1945
Pte. Cuthbert Anstey
Cpl. Grenville Kitchener Butcher
Sgt. Hubert Stanley Kew
F/O. Stanley Digby Murray
The above also also remembered on a stone memorial within the church
Go to the 1939-1945 Roll of Honour page for more detailed information